From parties to baking cookies, navigating all of the great things that come with the holiday season can be difficult, especially if you are living with a non-healing wound. It's important to understand the impact holiday traditions can have on the body’s health and healing process. For instance, walking around the neighborhood caroling in below freezing temperatures, while drinking hot chocolate that’s more marshmallow than cocoa, could cause any progress in healing to stall from added stress and inflammation. However, a wound doesn’t need to steal the holiday cheer, or cause any bah-humbug moments, so here are five helpful tips to make sure all of those living with a non-healing wound have a healthy and cheerful holiday season:
1. Eat Smart: You may not be able to control what food will be served but you can control what you consume. Have a plan in place before the gathering:
2. Drink Responsibly: Make sure to drink your daily amount of water and then an extra glass for every alcoholic and caffeinated beverage consumed.
3. Celebrate Traditions: If grandma’s gingerbread cookies are a tradition, don’t skip out. Just be mindful of not over indulging in the holiday sweets.
4. Move with Purpose: Being active is your secret holiday weapon; it can help make up for eating more than usual and it also lowers stress.
5. Get Your Rest:. Going out and staying up late often results in a lack of sleep, which can weaken your immune system when it’s already working to heal.
Bonus Tip for Wound Care Patients: Be sure to keep your regularly scheduled appointments and follow dietary recommendations. It’s very important to continue treatment throughout the holiday season and have an open line of communication with your care team.
About wound care advantage
For 20+ years, Wound Care Advantage (WCA) has supported clinically and financially successful wound centers. Driven by innovation and technology to provide exceptional care with a complete range of tools and services for sustained success. With a personalized level of support for each center’s unique needs, WCA specializes in guiding partners from outsourced management to insourced support, delivering the benefits of a management company with increased cost-effectiveness and control. How can WCA support you? Learn more at www.thewca.com.
WoundTok puts the fun back in wound care education! We love wound care and believe learning about it should be fun. Join WoundTok and you will receive instant resources for your wound center, weekly education games, industry updates, and insights. Join our community of passionate wound care experts!